Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Party Never Dies


Oh yeah. Adorable cute. Cool concept. Anime and Harajuku influence on the aesthetic. Monster High Dolls are set to come out in August, but my 10 yo daughter has already seen some at that big chain toy store and she is in love. Very poseable. Very cute litte accessories and pets. Fun mini-vids introduce the characters on the home site. If my daughter's reaction is anything to go by, Mattel has created something to replace My Scene dolls that will blow the memories of Bratz away on the breeze.
Is it just me, or are mass market commercial manufacturers appropriating more and more visual motifs and style elements from handmade indie crafts, including art doll makers? Yeah, it's not just me. It's something I've been watching increasingly for at least a year. (Another case in point - Littlest Pet Shop plush toys.) Although in fairness, it's not just toys. I'm seeing it in things like hang tags on mass produced garments, made to look as if they were hand stamped with rough edges.

No comments: