Saturday, August 8, 2009

Moxie Girlz

My dd and I visited the big toy store and saw these Moxie Girlz for the first time. They are evidently going to be MGA's replacement for Bratz when the latter leave the shelves forever.
Looking at the rather sweet and pretty faces of these four slim bodied/largish head fashion dolls, it seems to me that the designers over at MGA have taken some of the reservations/criticisms of Bratz by some parents to heart. These new girls have the appearance of being a few years younger than the Bratz core four with much less makeup and smaller lips, although each retain distinctive sassy personalities. They all have a code for a membership to an online community (Webkinz started a bandwagon on to which no doll or toy company will apparently refrain from leaping) and part of the focus seems to be promoting artistic activities - like color in/wipe off room accessories or vinyl clothing. Hmmm.

My 9year old likes the look of them, liking the faces and thinking the hair is beautiful, but she is not keen on the shape of the hands. We'll wait to see if the website is better than the mostly "chat and buy clothes" world that Bratz created. She doesn't care to chat online, and she likes actual games per Webkinz world and the wonderful free site Oyunlar. (Heavy on the virtual paper doll dress up games with manga style visuals.)

4 comments:

Robyn Coburn Writer/Artist said...

I don't find Bratz ugly. We have many beautiful ones, including one that wears a kimono with many tiny painted accessories like hair ornaments, and authentic kimono underpinnings. We have a fairy one that we love the look of also. My daughter loves the animated movies, and their characters are kind, mutually supportive, interested in community and charity work, full of grand ambitions and willing to work hard for their goals. The live action movie was quite a disappointing departure from the characters that the animated movies and series had developed.

Cheryl said...

I don't think Bratz are ugly, but they are not what I want my granddaughters to emulate and do not allow them in my house. I think they are slightly on the sleazy side. This new doll seems much more appropriate for young girls. I am glad they will be gone from the shelves.

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

In taking my little 'adopted' grandbaby girl to Target, we sauntered into the toy aisle which was her very first journey to such a place. She's just now a year old. I wanted to see her reaction to all the different toys.

Barbie...nothing. Any sort of fashion doll...nothing.

Baby Dolls....Good Lord, she nearly flew out of the cart. Ooh-ing and ahh-ing and trying to grab them. I let her hold one and I couldn't pry it out her her arms.

Nice to see her attach to a simple Baby Doll.

It'll be interesting to see how her taste in dolls evolves. Barbie or Moxie? Or who knows what will be around in another 7 years?

Susie McMahon said...

My grand-daughter (now 13) had a real thing for Bratz for a few years - I personally found them a bit 'skanky' - but maybe I'm a bit long in the tooth to keep up with fashion trends. (Didn't stop me buying quite a few of them for her over the years, though)
These new dolls are far more appealing to me - less of the skank and more of the sweet!